Friday, January 31, 2014

The Language of Food


 Another wonderful experience I had in Ethiopia was learning to cook Ethiopian food from the cook at the volunteer guesthouse named Tattalou.  When we had power, we cooked over a two-burner electric cook top, and when we did not have power, we cooked traditionally over the coals.  I watched and chopped and stirred my way into learning to cook many traditional Ethiopian dishes.  She also invited me to her home to learn how to cook Injera the traditional way over a fire.  Since she did not have electricity, this is the way she cooks everyday at her home.  I was extremely grateful for the opportunity to learn how to cook traditional Ethiopian food.  But most of all I was grateful for the connection to her and the culture I was able to create through cooking.  She spoke a handful of words in English, and I spoke a handful of words in Amharic.  Yet people were astonished at the way we could communicate with each other.  The same thing happened in India with Gouri.  I think cooking itself creates a common language among women who are willing to let it be what bonds them.  Cooking has long been women’s work and the commonality of shared experience allows people to communicate.  Chopping a tomato is the same whether you are a woman in America, India, or Ethiopia.  And bonding over shared life experiences is a way of communicating.  I think another key to understanding across languages is patience and the desire to truly understand someone else’s experience.  What a gift…  

Learning to cook Messir from Tattalou in the guesthouse kitchen. We did not have power that day, so we cooked over the coals.

Tattalou, the cook, and Lomi, the maid, enjoying some tea together.

At Tattalou's house :)

Learning to cook Injera the traditional way


                                         







Tattalou and I making Injera

Tattalou and Stephanos 

Me looking very Habesha! 

No comments: