Friday, January 31, 2014

On Cleanliness being a Privilege...


Having the chance to totally immerse myself in the Kore community of Addis Ababa to live and volunteer for 3 weeks was an incredible experience.  Getting to live there and experience what life is like for the children whom I worked with at the school was truly amazing.  Traveling around Tanzania and Ethiopia had been relatively easy for Jon and I since we lived in India.  We are both extremely adaptable because of that experience.  But I still was not prepared for how quickly and easily adapting to living in difficult conditions would be for me.  I was very grateful for being so adaptable.  The volunteer guest house I lived in hardly ever had running water and the electricity was an on again off again thing.  Just on the short walk from the guest house to the school, I would get a layer of red dirt covering my clothes and body which would only increase after the first break, or recess, where the kids used me as a human jungle gym.  Not being able to shower regularly was a whole new world for me.  I got used to using baby wipes and thinking that I was clean.  It is amazing how your perspective can shift so fast. 


Our guest house was luxury living for the area of Kore though.  Many of the people who live there do not have running water or electricity in their homes.  Those with more money have concrete floors and others have dirt floors.  During the dry season the red dirt becomes dust, which floats around and sticks to every part of you.  During the rainy season, the dirt becomes mud, which also cakes onto everything and gets all over you when you walk.  The majority of people walk for transportation so you are always getting dirty.  I understood what it was like to be dirty, constantly.  And I realized what a privilege cleanliness is because for many people it is not an option.  If you have dirt floors and no running water in your home, how would you ever really get clean? As I sit in my clean house in Seattle with my running water and electricity, I am constantly reminded what a privilege it is to be clean.  I feel like my relationship to water has changed very drastically and will never be the same.  I value it more, I understand it more, and I can no longer waste it.  I am so immensely grateful for this new understanding.        

Around the neighborhood

On my walk to the school

Kore neighborhood homes

The volunteer guesthouse where I stayed

Me and Stephanos, a boy who worked at the guest house.

No comments: