Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mandi's Observations- Culture Shock!

It is hard to know just where to begin when trying to describe what I am seeing and experiencing in India.
The past few days have been some of the most overwhelming days of my life.  I knew things would be different, being in a third world country for the first time, but there was no way to know just how different they would be.  There are so many people here, and the sights, sounds, smells, and tastes are all so incredibly unfamiliar.  In the past two days I have seen: cows, goats, stray dogs, water buffalo, and camels all just hanging out on the streets; a family of four getting around town on their scooter; a man peddling a bicycle with his wife and their newborn on the back; and more people packed into buses and cars than you could ever imagine would fit.    
 

When Jon and I go out, people tend to speak directly to him, greet him, thank him, sometimes they smile at me, but more often it feels like I am invisible.  Sometimes I just respond like they are talking to me too, but other times I am just eager to get out of the uncomfortable situation. Today, we drove around town and saw tents, shanty towns with tin shacks, high rise apartment buildings and huge stone mansions all in the same area.  Everything is dirty.  There is a thin layer of red dirt that cakes the sidewalks, and periodically you will see someone sweeping it away with a stick broom.  Those who can afford it use vehicles: cars, buses, auto-rickshaws, scooters, motorcycles, taxis, or bicycles.  The rest are forced to walk everywhere.  


The first day we were here I learned my lesson about appropriate dress for India.  An outfit that would be considered relatively conservative in the US, capris and a stretch t-shirt, got me stares and much unwanted attention and gestures.  Ironically, this was an outfit I had purchased for India because I thought it would be appropriate.  The shirt wasn't low cut or sleeveless, it was just a regular t-shirt.  Luckily, Jon's mom had given me a kurta, a loose fitting Indian blouse, before we left and being out in that was much better.  I have since purchased more kurtas and find them quite comfortable but feel a little frumpy in them.  

I don't really know what else I can say about India.  I have been so overwhelmed.  It is impossible to describe this place.  I feel like it is surreal like any moment the movie I am watching will end and the backdrop will disappear.  This has to eventually seem real doesn't it? The child begging for food; the cows wandering the streets; the women covered in cloth from head to toe; the cars that don't use lanes; the social acceptability of two men walking down the street holding hands yet not a man and a woman; an inability to comprehend a world of difference.  A place unknown-India-A fascinating and beautiful place.  What an incredible experience we are about to have...


4 comments:

boogybunch said...

Can this be so? Mandi is in India?!!! I am so proud of you! I can't wait to follow along with you on your journey with your blog. Thank you for allowing us to have a window on a part of the world that none of us might never get to see.
Be careful! Dress appropriate :) and know that I love you!
Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandi and Jon! Mandi--is your hair brown and long?! What's the food like? I see you're eating with your hands. I love the picture of the chips. Where are you going to live after the hotel?! So many questions! I am thinking of you and Jon and hoping you'll settle in well. I love this blog! You should write a book. I love the pics too! The weather in SF has been "warm" the last couple days so I've been enjoying the sunshine and a break from the rain! xoxoxox from CA, Sherry :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a meaningful and excellent articulation of your experience. I felt like I was there experienceing it all! Man, I am looking forward to the blog-book you guys have by the time you leave.

This really will be an amazing experience.

Congratulations on your arrival and the start of an adventure,
Greg

Laura's Libs said...

You look HOT in your kurta!

I love you!